Darwin’s summer months are sweltering and so it’s no surprise that you will be using the air conditioning more.
You wish to be comfortable in your own home, but the result is higher energy bills. What can you do about it?
One way to lower your costs is to try to improve the efficiency of your air conditioner in Darwin.
We at iChill Air Refrigeration & Air Conditioning have thought up some simple ways in which to improve the efficiency of your home’s air conditioning with these tips.
You could probably upgrade your unit for a newer version and it may save you money in the long run, but there are other ways to get more out of your air conditioner.
- Many home owners ignore the need for regular maintenance for their air. Like all machinery, air conditioning units should have periodic inspections. Most installers of air conditioning also offer this after sales service. For modest sum you too can get your air conditioner checked every so often.
- The outside portion of the unit be shaded from direct sunlight. Intense sunlight heats up the unit and can affect its functionality. A shaded air conditioner can be up to 10% more efficient.
- Keep the outside part of the unit clean.
- Cleaning the filter helps too. Dust and other debris collect there, as they are supposed to, but if you don’t clean them it makes the machinery work harder, putting more strain on the whole system. It is recommended that you change the filter at least every 6 months.
- Window screens or shades will also help, as they block direct sunlight and UV rays, which tend to build up heat in enclosed spaces.
- You can insulate your ducts by sealing and wrapping to prevent air leaks.
- Attics are heat build-up hotspots. You can ventilate them with an extractor fan.
- Ceiling fans will help the cool air from your air conditioner to circulate better and more evenly.
- Clean ventilator fins and make sure they aren’t blocked by anything. If they aren’t working properly, they will restrict the air flow.
- Turn off air conditioning in rooms that are not in use.
- Turn off the unit at night or add a timer.
- Don’t try any repairs yourself.
Reduce Your Costs
The tips above will help you with the energy and working efficiency of your air conditioner in Darwin.
If you are worried about high bills and the longevity of your air conditioner unit these tips will likely help you.
At iChill Air Refrigeration & Air Conditioning will happily take that worry off your hands. Call us now and we will explain the why and how of it.